Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Where in the world is Ranty going to be this weekend???

Wow, three posts in one day!

I'm deliberately overcompensating for what will likely be an eleven-day drought in ranty-posts.

Yes yes, I know you're thinking:

Whaaaaaaat???? How will I survive eleven days without my fix of blurry house/garden pics with fingernail-measurements, over-puctuated diatribes and wanton, profanity-laced complaining????

But I promise that you will make it through. Especially if you read MNSpeak. (And if you don't, I suggest you do. It's awesome. I've been wasting precious time there for well over a year now, so I know what I'm talking about.)

And nowwwwwwwwwww... to keep you further occupied, how about a contest???

WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE SRA. & SR. RANTY GOING TO BE THIS WEEKEND*?

Okay, here are the hints:

1. It's an island. (But no, not the Greek one from which Sr. Ranty hails.)

2. It's actually a deserted island, located in a tiny archipelago.

3. The main language spoken throughout this archipelago (on the islands which are inhabited, that is to say) is not the same as that of the country to which the island belongs. In fact, the islanders are a source of fascination to some linguistic scholars for their unique patois.

4. This particular deserted island is home to an annual music festival, which takes place next weekend, and is also something of a cult diving destination.

And the biggest hint of all:

5. While I call it an island, the islanders actually call it a "cay."

The first person to guess the answer correctly wins a souvenir from the trip! (No, I'm not telling you what the souvenir is, because I don't know yet. It will have to be small and legal to carry across borders though, for sure. :-)

*Those of you to whom I already disclosed the location: hush.

17 comments:

Muskego Jeff said...

Although it was probably a red herring, I'll take a shot at the Cayman Islands. Which one? Hell if I know. Probably the deserted one with the music festival.

The Litter Box House said...

Hmmm:

Caribfest in Coral Cay, Honduras? What did I win? Huh Huh?

:)

Andrea

The Litter Box House said...

Now I'm all freaked out that you didn't get my answer..I'm using Jason's computer and it gave me some issues when I tried to sign in as Litter Box. So just in case (because I'm a Type I personality and love to win):

Caribfest in Coral Cay, Honduras

:) Andrea

Ranty said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... you're both CLOSE! In fact, one of you just might be reeeeeeeeeally-reeeeeeeeally close!!!

but nope. :-)

The Litter Box House said...

Argh. Turks & Caicos Music Festival? In Turtle Cove Marina in Providenciales...

My god, how many island festivals at the beginning of August exist?

You're driving me crazy Ranty!

The Litter Box House said...

Costa Maya Festival on Ambergris Caye in Belize?

I must walk away from the computer...!!!!!

Ranty said...

LOL Andrea!!!

Okay-okay, so we got super-hot, then cold, then warm again. In order to reinforce my previous statement about how close one of those guesses was, I'll add this:

The country to which this island belongs has perhaps the most difficult-named capitol city (for non-native speakers) in the Americas. It's five syllables, though the locals typically shorten it to a two-syllable nickname.

Muskego Jeff said...

Salsa Festival on Curacao? I give up, this contest is rigged.

Anonymous said...

Do we get souvenirs for shutting the hell up?

The Litter Box House said...

I'll take Rich's advice and give up...

The Litter Box House said...

I couldn't let it go!

Sunjam Utila on Water Cay in Honduras? Near Utila...

http://www.sunjamutila.com/

Goddamn it Ranty, I better be right. And if I'm not, just change your damn plans so I am right! And can I come since I'm so freakin' crazy?

Ranty said...

Water Cay is correct!!! Bravo!

If you send your address to minneapolisgirlatgmaildotcom I'll totally mail you a souvenir!

And I'm sure Rich wasn't telling you to shut up, it's just that he already knew about the trip. :-)

m said...

I'm jealous. I like deserted islands. With nice hotels, that is.

The Litter Box House said...

Woo hoo! It's been a long time since I won something. But hopefully winning this challenge doesn't negate my ability to win the $25,000 home improvement sweepstakes at This Old House!

Unknown said...

Man, you're the second person I know who is going! Cool! Wish I could. I know, I'm IN Honduras.

Honduras Sprout said...

My friends just got back from Utila and man they just missed what sounds like a good time. Have some fun!

Anonymous said...

Indeed I was not. I just wanted to know if hushing qualified me for a souvenir. Does Honduras have an official booze?